Friday, November 19, 2010

Why EVE Online?

Hi.. My name is Ondaderthad and I am a game addict.

I have been playing online and offline games for the last 30 years and my addiction is not slowing down at all. But for now lets just look at the reason why I chose to play EVE Online.

I first heard about this MMO some years ago but I didn't get involved at the time because I never really liked the idea of fighting my way against hordes of aggressive badmouthed teenagers in a massive realtime online game. And beside, I was very much involved in another game since the early 2000's. But I finally burnt out and needed a change. Tried a few of the latest games and spent a small fortune in the process with no real satisfaction. See.. My gaming needs require some sort of depth and complexity to keep me amused.

Selecting a Space game was a natural choice. Elite on the C64 was the first video game I ever played and I was getting a bit tired of the Fantasy genre after a 10 year tour of duty with Neverwinter Nights. A quick bit of research told me that EVE Online wouldn't cost me all that much with a subscription rate of around $15 a month. So I could afford to give it a try. After a few hours downloading the client I was ready to start the 21 days free trial which I soon after changed to a fully paid subscription.

The first task is to climb the infamous learning curve. Although I found this to be slightly exaggerated this graphic probably represents the first couple of weeks of play.
If you are a brand new player I would highly recommend to do ALL the tutorials first and then maybe scratch this player (also known as a Capsuler) once you have the basic idea of the game.

So in my next blog I will try to detail how to start a successful EVE Online account.

No comments: